Monday, October 14, 2013

Remarks at the 2013 APEC Leaders Dinner and Cultural Night

PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA
AT THE
2013 APEC LEADERS DINNER AND CULTURAL NIGHT
BALI, 7 OCTOBER 2013




Bismillahirrahmanirrahim
Assalamu’alaikum Warrahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
Om Swastyastu,

May peace be upon us,
Honorable Leaders of APEC Economies,

Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,
As leader, I have attended TEN APEC Summits. I have worn ten different national dresses. I have stood at ten different photo opportunities. AND I was fortunate to visit ten remarkable places for the summits.

But many of you would agree with me that one of the most enjoyable times is the APEC Leaders’ dinner. You may have a hard time recalling your interventions about connectivity, or trade financing, or non-tariff barriers, OR even protectionism from years ago, but you may still remember the delicious sea-bass you had in Santiago in 2004.

Yesterday at the CEO Summit, I received intelligence reports of quite a “happening” party. I wonder if anyone of you secretly attended that party.

BUT what I REALLY wanted to say is that after an already busy first day, and tomorrow’s tight schedule, let us relax, enjoy the dinner and the culture performances tonight.

This part of the APEC program is important for another reason. Building an APEC community starts in an evening like this. And indeed we are a bigger family now since Bogor, with 21 members—a ONE big happy family.

And just like in any family traditions, sitting around the dinner table is the best way to share stories and to bring us closer together. We might listen more during our meal stories from our spouses about their wonderful lunch in a glass cage with lions staring at them from outside.

Finally, before we enjoy the evening, let me share my personal secret: I have taken up a ten-day APEC Diet, just so I can savor tonight’s meal that has been especially prepared for you.

''Selamat Makan'' dan ''Terima Kasih''. Bon Appétit and Thank You.

Wassalamu’alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment